More than 1,000 families have been evacuated to safe refuges as flash floods have been hitting five provinces in Cambodia, a disaster control spokesman said Wednesday.
Keo Vy, a spokesman for the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), said the affected provinces included Koh Kong, Preah Sihanouk, Kampot, Kampong Speu, and Battambang.
“So far, there is no any report of casualties, but some 1,067 families have been evacuated to safe locations,” he told Xinhua, adding that about 2,500 hectares of rice paddy have been submerged.
According to the spokesman, authorities have closed the traffic on a flooded section of National Road 4 in the seaport province of Preah Sihanouk since Tuesday due to the rising water level.
Floods usually hit Cambodia between July and October. In 2011, the Southeast Asian country suffered the worst from floods, killing up to 250 people, according to the NCDM.